news-room market-place products data-bank forum e-mail
magnesium. com
forum

General Forum »
 Author   Thread   NEW THREAD | POST REPLY 
Stephane Fauliau

Subject: COATINGS AND ANTICORROSION 

Hello everyone,
i'm looking for information on Mg coatings. can anyone tell me what the leading technologies and processes are and which companies are generally trusted for these types of treatments?
thank you.
 29-Sep-2006 14:31   Quote 
Cory Padfield

Pretreatment:

1) Alodine 5200 from Henkel
2) MAGPASS-COAT from AHC Oberflachentechnik
3) Gardobond X4707 from Chemetall

Anodizing:

1) Keronite from Keronite
2) Tagnite from Technology Applications Group
3) Anomag from Magnesium Technology Ltd (available from Henkel)
4) MAGOXID from AHC Oberflachentechnik

Powdercoating:

Almost any of the commercially available products (e.g. Akzo/Interpon, DuPont, and Protech) will be good, provided they have a good pretreatment

Electrocoating:

Almost any of the commercially available products (e.g BASF, DuPont, and PPG) will be good, provided they have a good pretreatment

Silane coating:

1) Oxsilan from Chemetall
 29-Sep-2006 22:37   Quote 
Ilya Ostrovsky

Dear Cory,

I would like to make some remarks to your thread (I hope, you do not mind about it).

1. Regarding Henkel processes, probably you should update your list. I suppose, Henkel will give you another set of recommended coatings.

2. OXSILAN MG processes from Chemetall GmbH are used as both pretreatments and electrical conductive coatings (without paint).

3. You should add composite coating Gardobond X4729 from Chemetall to both groups. Although, that is not electrochemical coating, but has similar properties with some anodizing coatings and already is used instead of anodizing in some magnesium applications.

4. You should add anodizing ALGAN 2M from Chemetall to anodizing group. It is used in many aerospace and military magnesium applications.

5. Keronite coating is micro-arc oxidation process. There is significant difference between anodizing and micro-arc oxidation.

6. Aerospace wet paint systems (f.e. from Akzo) are also used for protection of magnesium components.

7. Additionaly to already mentioned anticorrosion coatings, you can find also functional coatings. For example: pretreatments for magnesium forming, pretreatments for magnesium welding, local treatments for repair of damaged magnesium coating, sealers, flame resisted coating. All these coatings are also available from Chemetall GmbH.
 01-Oct-2006 11:35   Quote 
Enzo Strazzi

Dear Stefane,
in my every day practice with magnesium I should say finishing must be taylored on the final application of your pieces.
I agree with Ilya about the differences between
a) anodising and micro-arc (or plasma) anodising,
b) different types of conversion coatings (preferably all without Cr(VI)). Personally I prefer silane-based or "super-primer"- types....

As I don't know your purpose.... If I can be of any help, be free to conatct me.....
 02-Oct-2006 13:36   Quote 
Anne Wilde

Stephane

I should be happy to send you more information about the Keronite plasma electrolytic oxidation process for magnesium and to discuss with you whether or not it would be suitable for the application you have in mind. Please contact me directly at anne.wilde@keronite.com and I will do my best to help!

Anne Wilde
Keronite PLC
Cambridge, UK
 03-Oct-2006 16:52   Quote 
Stephane Fauliau

Thank you all for your concern and replies i appreciate it and the information you gave should be a good start for my search.
regards to you all.
 03-Oct-2006 18:52   Quote 
rachna jain

>Hello everyone,

>i\'m looking for information on Mg coatings. can anyone

>tell me what the leading technologies and processes are

>and which companies are generally trusted for these types

>of treatments?

>thank you.

02-Jan-2009 17:23   Quote 
rachna jain

>Pretreatment:

>

>1) Alodine 5200 from Henkel

>2) MAGPASS-COAT from AHC Oberflachentechnik

>3) Gardobond X4707 from Chemetall

>

>Anodizing:

>

>1) Keronite from Keronite

>2) Tagnite from Technology Applications Group

>3) Anomag from Magnesium Technology Ltd (available from

>Henkel)

>4) MAGOXID from AHC Oberflachentechnik

>

>Powdercoating:

>

>Almost any of the commercially available products (e.g.

>Akzo/Interpon, DuPont, and Protech) will be good,

>provided they have a good pretreatment

>

>Electrocoating:

>

>Almost any of the commercially available products (e.g

>BASF, DuPont, and PPG) will be good, provided they have a

>good pretreatment

>

>Silane coating:

>

>1) Oxsilan from Chemetall

02-Jan-2009 17:24   Quote 
rachna jain

>Dear Cory,

>

>I would like to make some remarks to your thread (I hope,

>you do not mind about it).

>

>1. Regarding Henkel processes, probably you should update

>your list. I suppose, Henkel will give you another set of

>recommended coatings.

>

>2. OXSILAN MG processes from Chemetall GmbH are used as

>both pretreatments and electrical conductive coatings

>(without paint).

>

>3. You should add composite coating Gardobond X4729 from

>Chemetall to both groups. Although, that is not

>electrochemical coating, but has similar properties with

>some anodizing coatings and already is used instead of

>anodizing in some magnesium applications.

>

>4. You should add anodizing ALGAN 2M from Chemetall to

>anodizing group. It is used in many aerospace and

>military magnesium applications.

>

>5. Keronite coating is micro-arc oxidation process. There

>is significant difference between anodizing and micro-arc

>oxidation.

>

>6. Aerospace wet paint systems (f.e. from Akzo) are also

>used for protection of magnesium components.

>

>7. Additionaly to already mentioned anticorrosion

>coatings, you can find also functional coatings. For

>example: pretreatments for magnesium forming,

>pretreatments for magnesium welding, local treatments for

>repair of damaged magnesium coating, sealers, flame

>resisted coating. All these coatings are also available from Chemetall GmbH.

02-Jan-2009 17:24   Quote 
rachna jain

>Dear Stefane,

>in my every day practice with magnesium I should say

>finishing must be taylored on the final application of

>your pieces.

>I agree with Ilya about the differences between

>a) anodising and micro-arc (or plasma) anodising,

>b) different types of conversion coatings (preferably all

>without Cr(VI)). Personally I prefer silane-based or

>\"super-primer\"- types....

>

>As I don\'t know your purpose.... If I can be of any help,

>be free to conatct me.....

02-Jan-2009 17:25   Quote 
Enzo Strazzi

Dear All,
long time is passed from my last contact with this thread and I can confirm what said at that time.
1- On the market there are chrome free conversion coating processes, whose efficiency depend in large extent on the type of material you have to treat. Good estrusions or rolled parts can give \"reasonable\" results (but all depends on the final use... and application).
2- When, as it happens frequently to me, NOT GOOD CAST PARTS HAVE TO BE TREATED, WE HAVE THE BEST RESULT USING OUR SPARK FREE ANODIZING PROCESS.
3- Our process is patented and with few industrial plants running at the present time.
4- Our technology is approved by some important customers because ensuring a quality suitable for them.
5 - A freshly patented version of the process is even able to get a deep black colour requested for some specific applications.
6 - Who is interested in further technical info can visit our website www.italfinish.com (or searching my name in internet)
7- Who is interested in having samples treated by us can contact me at lab.mobile@italfinish.com.
8- We are not a chemicals selling company but we are open to a collaboration on the base of a turn-key plant with the complete formulation of what used in the solution, that is absolutely envirinmental friend.
9- Who needs a technical comparison of what proposed on the market, he can contact me and receive MY PERSONAL OPINION AND DATA.
My best wishes to everybody (... and magnesium, too..) for the New Year!!!
Enzo Strazzi
 02-Jan-2009 18:00   Quote 
syam nibhanupudi

anybody can tell me how can i order Magpass-coat. i want to give it a shot. any distributors in usa!!!
 14-Jun-2011 22:29   Quote 
syam nibhanupudi

anybody can tell me how can i order Magpass-coat. i want to give it a shot. any distributors in usa!!!
 14-Jun-2011 22:29   Quote 
Stephen Brown

I believe this particular process is patented by AHC Oberflächentechnik GmbH and don\'t think it is available directly in USA, but AHC do operate globally I am sure. I have spoken to them many times.
Depending on the application you are using the magnesium for obviously, I would suggest you also consider isolation techniques such as aluminium washers for example, and also design techniques at the outset are important. Isolation is effective and can be a cheaper alternative, again, dependant on the application.
 18-Jun-2011 04:48   Quote 
Enzo Strazzi

SweetMag(R) can be available for USA. The process gives a similar quality of that mentioned by you. If you contact me (or give me your references) I can send you furher data. For any preliminary step you could collaborate with the Canadian licencee.
Enzo Strazzi
 19-Jun-2011 12:44   Quote 
Onita Crisan

Dear Stephen,

No pretreatment could deal with silicon/ziconium/zinc/ of cast magnesium. The silicon (or the others) will affect the paint adhesion. I know something about because I\'m in this field for many years.

Just the anodizing layer could \"mask\" the silicon or deal with the zirconium/zinc and get magnesium protection. The best anodizing process is SweetMag. With a good paint we can obtain 1500 h neutral salt spray resistance. Any other anodizing process, included Tagnite, could protect so well. This anodizing process is done in just three steps. This is the miracle that Doctor Enzo Strazzi created.

We have the SweetMag licence, here in Montreal.

Onita
 20-Jun-2011 01:49   Quote 
Enzo Strazzi

Thank you, but I am too old to receive compliments!
SweeMag(R) performs very well in quality and costs with many non ferrous metals (magnesium, aluminium, titanium,etc..) as cast or extrusion.
Data are widely available in internet, or feel free to contact me.
 20-Jun-2011 09:03   Quote 
Harsh Suri

Hi All,

we machined some parts for a handheld device using AZ31B and used grey keronite. we needed black matte finish for the parts so the machine shop spray painted black color, now when we were assembling the paint keeps coming off wherever locktite drop falls for fixing screws on the device. The device has to undergo harsh weather conditions MIL 810D. Can anyone please advise what paint technique should we go for on top of the grey keronite treatment.

what do you guys think of powder coating, e coating or some kind of primer and then a top coat. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Harsh
 25-Feb-2015 09:51   Quote 
Onita Crisan

If you want to solve your Keronite problem just contact me. My number is: 514-881-5755
 15-Jun-2015 14:46   Quote 
    NEW THREAD | POST REPLY 

HOME | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE WITH US
© 2000-2017 Magnesium .com. All rights reserved.